Certain Apex Learning® websites are freely accessible ("Apex Learning Corporate Websites"). Other Apex Learning websites are restricted to those who are authorized to access them by Apex Learning and have a user name and password ("Apex Learning Customer Websites"); these Apex Learning Customer Websites include any Apex Learning online service offering made available through such websites ("Apex Online Services").
The Apex Learning Websites include links to websites operated by others. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of such third parties, and this policy does not apply to any information collected by such third party websites.
How We May Collect Personal Information
We may collect information often referred to as “personally identifiable information,” “personal information,” or “personal data” (collectively “Personal Information”) when you obtain a user name and password, when you participate in an Apex Online Service or when you otherwise communicate with us through an Apex Learning Website or otherwise. We may also obtain your Personal Information through an Apex Learning Website if it is submitted by a representative of the institution (such as a school, school district, state department of education or other educational organization) or by the individual (such as a parent or guardian) funding your participation in the Apex Online Service ("Sponsoring Organization").
Types of Personal Information Collected
We may collect the following types of Personal Information at the Apex Learning Websites:
1. When a student, or a teacher, school administrator or representative of a Sponsoring Organization on behalf of a student, obtains a user name and password or enrolls in the Apex Online Service, we may request the following Personal Information:
- student name and email address
- school name
- school or homeschool address
- student phone number
- parent or guardian contact information for the student
- credit card information for the student
2. When a student participates in Apex Course activities, information about the student activity (e.g. time spent on certain problems, number of quiz attempts), student activity scores and grades are collected in a password-protected location with limited access by the student, the student's parent(s)/guardian(s), the student's teacher, administrators from the student's school and/or personnel from the student's Sponsoring Organization.
3. When a teacher, school administrator or personnel from a Sponsoring Organization obtains a user name and password, we may request the following Personal Information:
- name and email address
- school or organization name
- school or organization address
- school or organization phone number
- credit card information for the school or organization
4. You may participate in message boards, forums or chats in connection with your use of Apex Online Services, where the information you share (including any personal information) can be viewed and used by other users of the Apex Online Services participating in the message boards, forums or chats.
How Information Is Used and Shared
Information about Apex Learning Websites users, including Personal Information, may be disclosed as part of any merger, acquisition, sale of company assets, as well as in the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy or receivership in which Personal Information could be transferred to third parties as one of the business assets of Apex Learning.
Non-Personal User Information
Apex Learning seeks to provide a high-quality learning experience and may use various technologies to record certain technical information from your browser or device, including standard log files, clear GIFs, or pixel tags. This technical information may include your Internet Protocol (IP) address, device or browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring or exit pages, clickstream data, operating system, and session dates and times. The data will help in understanding the user experience and allow website improvements and a customized functionality.
Cookies are small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters enabling us to remember information about your activities during your website visit. Session cookies are eliminated after a browser is closed while persistent cookies remain and may be used by your browser on subsequent website visits. Apex Learning may use both session cookies and persistent cookies to help us provide you with a personalized learning experience. You can remove a persistent cookie at any time, however, this may eliminate certain services and features. We do not store in cookies any passwords, credit card information or information that personally identifies you.
Steps You Can Take to Protect Your Privacy
What You Disclose. Please keep in mind that whenever you give out Personal Information online - for example, via message boards, forums, or chats - that information can be viewed and used by people that you do not know, including but not limited to other students who access the Apex Learning Websites. Apex Learning does not control their use of that information.
Security. Apex Learning uses various security procedures and practices (including administrative, technical, and physical safeguards) to protect your Personal Information. No security measure, however, is guaranteed. Apex Learning does not ensure or warrant the security of any personal or other information you provide to us. You can help protect your Personal Information by using strong passwords for the Apex Online Services and guarding access to those passwords.
Copyright © 2020 Apex Learning Inc. Apex Learning®, the Apex Learning logo and where opportunity thrives™ are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Apex Learning Inc.
Revision Date: September 19, 2017