Summer school is a critical time to meet a wide range of student needs after a year of interruptions and an ever-changing educational environment.
Districts have the opportunity to address unfinished learning and prepare students for the next grade, as well as offer enrichment and accelerated learning opportunities.
Summer Learning for High School
Forward-thinking districts are using digital curriculum to serve a wide range of student needs in their summer programs, including original credit, enhancement opportunities, and college readiness.
Students can take advantage of the summer break to:
- Earn credits towards early graduation or create a free period in the next year's schedule.
- Remediate gaps in prerequisite knowledge before moving on to the next grade.
- Increase college and career readiness, including preparation for high-stakes tests.
Flexible Learning Options
More districts are embracing the flexibility and benefits of digital curriculum to expand summer learning options. With Apex Learning, districts can:
- Serve students who prefer virtual learning or need flexible scheduling options.
- Use their teachers, partner with Apex Learning and use our Apex Learning Virtual School teachers, or a combination of both.
- Address teacher shortages, expand course offerings, and offer courses with low enrollment numbers.
Summer Program in Action
Anchorage School District, AK
A Summer School Model of Success
Summer Learning for Middle School
Summer school can change the trajectory of middle school students who are struggling and get them back on track. Proactive intervention programs using digital curriculum increase the number of students prepared for the next grade and high school, and help end the cycle of academic failure for many students.
Opportunities for Extended Learning
Many districts are redesigning their summer programs to meet the needs of their middle school students beyond just grade recovery to:
-Provide a bridge to high school
-Improve achievement on math and ELA
-Close the equity gap
Summer Program in Action
Fullerton Joint Union High School District, CA
Bridge Opportunity Gaps with Summer Programs
Students rise up to the challenge when they are motivated to reach high expectations. Power your summer school programs with digital curriculum that:
- Supports students from underserved populations who face persistent opportunity gaps.
- Provide supports and scaffolds that help students who may be struggling—such as ELL students, below proficient readers —build content mastery.
- Provide targeted remediation tied to grade-level instruction.
Learn how Beaverton School District in Oregon is addressing the digital divide.